Laser Vision Correction
Many people wear glasses or contact lenses to see well, but some consider them as great inconvenience. They just want to enjoy good vision without glasses or contacts. Thanks to medical advancements, this is possible now. Minimally invasive surgery, for example SMILE, is quickly becoming the standard of care in many medical ﬁelds, also in refractive surgery. Today, most refractive errors can be treated with Laser Vision Correction.
The three generations of Laser Vision Corrections:
PRESBYOND: A ﬁne choice to lose glasses for people above 40 years.
Why Aakash Healthcare?
- AIIMS trained highly skilled faculty.
- Vast experience of treating thousands of satisﬁed patients.
- In-depth evaluation, to minimize the chances of glare/starbursts in future.
- Only SMILE suite in Delhi/NCR to offer all types of refractive treatment under one roof.
- ZEISS has been a pioneer in optical science for more than 170 years.
- 100 years of experience and setting standards in medical technology.
- ZEISS solutions for Laser Vision Correction are precise and reliable.
- The minimally invasive SMILE procedure was developed by ZEISS.
- ZEISS introduced the world‘s ﬁrst excimer laser in 1986.
1st Generation: PRK (photorefractive keratectomy)
The first laser surgery introduced. It was primarily introduced to correct near-sightedness, far-sightedness and astigmatism which was later followed by the popular LASIK surgery. PRK works by first removing the first layer of the cornea (epithelium) either mechanically or using the laser itself followed by reshaping the cornea using an excimer laser (ultraviolet light), allowing the light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina for clear vision. A bandage contact lens is then placed to encourage healing of the epithelium- this is removed in 5-7 days.
Advantages of PRK:
- Strength of cornea is maintained
- Preferred over LASIK for contact sports/ armed forces
Some of the shortcomings of PRK are:
- Slower recovery
- Takes time to generate new epithelial cells and cover the surface of the eye. LASIK and SMILE have no such pain.
- Slight chances of eye infection
- Haziness of vision in the first few days after surgery
- there is pain in the eyes for 2-3 days after the procedure for which painkillers are prescribed
Laser refractive surgery is not suitable for every person. We do a thorough evaluation for every patient to see if you are a suitable candidate and one of ten persons is asked not to go for the procedure. Such patients may have the option of a phakic IOL implantation.
Note that if you have been cleared for laser refractive surgery by us, it is safe for you.
2nd Generation: LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis) and Femto-LASIK
The laser procedure permanently changes the shape of the cornea, the clear covering of the front of the eye, using an excimer laser (ultraviolet light). It is a two-step procedure which begins with a hinged flap creation using a mechanical microkeratome (a blade device). The flap is folded back revealing the stroma, the middle section of the cornea. Laser pulses from excimer vaporizes a predetermined portion of the stroma and the flap is replaced.
Femto-LASIK: (Bladeless LASIK)
In Femto LASIK, the flap is created with laser instead of blade as in conventional LASIK.
Advantages of Femto LASIK over LASIK:
- Smooth and even corneal flaps
- Thinner flaps, less tissue ablation
- Safer and more precise method
- More gentle method
- Faster vision rehabilitation
- No cut-related complications
- No black-outs during the treatment
- No blocking of the retina’s blood circulation
3rd Generation: SMILE (Small Incision Lenticular Extraction)
ReLEx SMILE is a breakthrough in laser vision correction offering a whole new level of precision, safety and comfort. In fact, you might just experience the world through a whole new lens - your natural ones.
ReLEx SMILE is a pain free, minimally invasive approach with the advantage of a 100% blade–free laser vision correction. This procedure involves no corneal flaps; refractive changes are made in the intact cornea itself. Unlike the conventional procedures, ReLex SMILE involves the creation of an extremely thin 3D layer in your intact cornea, corresponding to your refractive number that needs correction. This is then extracted out through a small keyhole incision of about 2-4mm only. As a result, the cornea gets reshaped to correspond to the ideal shape for correct vision. Entirely laser controlled, it is done in a few seconds- precise, safe and comfortable.
The ReLEx SMILE technique is performed using the highly precise advanced VisuMax femtosecond laser from Carl Zeiss AG, Germany. This laser system has impressed both the patients and the physicians alike with its sophisticated technology and its precision and reliability. ReLEx SMILE using VisuMax promises accuracy down to the nearest micrometer precision.
- The cornea surface is left untouched, preserving its biomechanical strength and stability better than other techniques.
- Inflammation is reduced to negligible as the total laser energy used is up to 10 times lesser than an excimer laser.
- Likeliness of dry eyes is significantly lowered, since no flap is created.
- There is no use of surgical cutting instruments and involves no change of equipment during the treatment.
- Since this procedure is minimally invasive, it involves minimum intervention and therefore less after care is required, enabling you to enjoy your new visual sensation right from day one.
PRESBYOND: A ﬁne choice to lose glasses for people above 40 years
When you reach your mid-forties, you will notice certain changes with your eyesight. Reading ﬁne print becomes harder. You begin to hold things at a distance to be able to read them clearly. If routine activities like using your mobile phone, browsing the net and reading the menu card become challenging, you may have presbyopia. This visual condition affects almost everyone over the age of forty-ﬁve.
PRESBYOND Laser Blended Vision is a new physiologically optimized laser treatment option for presbyopia. It combines the simplicity and accuracy of corneal refractive procedure with increased depth of ﬁeld in order to retain visual quality. With PRESBYOND Laser Blended Vision, patients experience excellent vision at all distances; near, intermediate and far and improved visual acuity and contrast sensitivity. Patients adapt faster with this procedure, and enjoy their youthful vision immensely. PRESBYOND Laser Blended Vision is a breakthrough laser procedure offering multiple advantages over conventional vision correction methods, particularly with:
- Customized treatment
- Excellent vision at all distances
- Preservation of contrast sensitivity, night vision and stereo acuity